Open Your Heart and Home
On average, 7,800 children are in Oklahoma Department of Human Services (OKHDS) custody throughout Oklahoma and are in need of safe, loving homes where they can grow and thrive. Since Oklahoma City no longer has overnight shelters, the child welfare system relies on quality foster homes to provide shelter and a support system to children in foster care.
Sunbeam Fosters Safe, Loving Homes
Sunbeam is a traditional foster care agency providing temporary care and supportive services in a home environment for children in OKDHS custody. Sunbeam works to improve the safety, well-being, and permanency of children from birth to 18 years of age by recruiting and training new foster parents as one of the 15 private foster care agencies in Oklahoma.
While OKDHS works with biological parents on a pathway to reunification, Sunbeam provides ongoing support to families through 24/7 case management, training, and connection to resources. A significant number of children who enter the child welfare system have experienced trauma that can lead to ongoing issues with social, cognitive, emotional and behavioral well-being. For this reason, all children in Sunbeam’s foster care program receive priority placement and services from its early childhood services and mental health programs.
Sunbeam provides children in new placement with items from its basic needs pantry such as clothing and hygiene items. Throughout the placement, Sunbeam staff monitors placement stability, attends court hearings, and ensures the overall success of the child in foster care.
Become a Foster Parent
Sunbeam recognizes at the heart of a healthy foster care family is dedication and compassionate support. Sunbeam foster parents must be at least 21 years old and have the ability to love, understand, care for and support a child. Sunbeam’s program is open to individuals and families regardless of marital status, sexuality, gender identity, gender expression, religion or race. Foster parents must live within 40 miles of Oklahoma City limits.
Sunbeam Foster Parent Requirements
- Must be 21 years of age or older
- Must be willing to work with staff and biological parents
- Have no history of alleged or confirmed child abuse, neglect or sexual abuse
- Complete OKDHS required background checks for all adult household members, including but not limited to: fingerprints, OSBI, child welfare history, military checks, out of state and juvenile checks for household members ages 13-17
- Provide applicable references as directed by policy
- Complete 37 hours of pre-service training
- Comply with OKDHS rules on discipline
- Have a working vehicle and cell phone
- Are able to manage personal and household financial needs without relying on foster care reimbursement
- Be in good physical, emotional and mental health
You Can Support Foster Children and Foster Families
When children leave their homes they often have nothing – not even a tooth brush. Please help us support children in Foster Care by donating most-needed items.
To make a financial or in-kind donation contact Colleen Howe at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (405) 609-2311.