At Sunbeam, our mission is to provide people of all ages with help, hope, and the opportunity to succeed through Early Childhood, Foster Care, Counseling and Senior Services.
Sunbeam’s programs and services address the physical, mental and emotional health of our clients. This holistic approach means many of our clients benefit from two or more of our service programs
Sunbeam is building stronger, brighter futures for central Oklahomans. We shine a light on the needs of our community and empowers families and individuals to achieve self-sufficiency.
- Sunbeam impacted 14,597 individuals in Central Oklahoma.
- 3,110 senior adults received safe and caring support through the Senior Services program, a 14.3 percent increase over the previous year. This program impacted an additional 5,061 family members through the Grandparents Raising Grandchildren, Caregiver Fundamentals and Foster Grandparents programs.
- 559 Oklahomans received compassionate counseling services, a 25.3 percent increase from the previous year which impacted 839 family members.
- 741 children enrolled in Sunbeam’s Educare Early Childhood Center, partner sites, and Home Based Care, a 20.6 percent increase from the previous year. Our holistic services impacted 2,542 family members who were supported by our Family Advocates.
- 109 foster children were placed in loving homes and Sunbeam wrapped services around 97 foster parents and their biological children.
- 1,711 individuals received trainings, such as employee assistance, English as Second Language classes, and first-aid.
- Our admin and fundraising costs are less than 10 percent, so every $1 donated 90 cents goes directly to helping our community.
Our community will be respected and modeled for how we care for our children, families, and seniors.
“With the help of Sunbeam, I was able to return to work and care for my other three children. I would not be the woman I am today, and Tianna would not be where she is today, without all the love and support Sunbeam has given us!” – Kim, a single mom with four children-two of whom are disabled.
The teachers at Educare OKC, a program of Sunbeam, learned how to feed Tianna through her feeding tube. They also arranged their class schedule to meet Tianna’s feeding needs and helped Kim access all the services Tianna qualified for to help her thrive. Thanks to support from the Educare OKC teachers, Tianna is now able to eat on her own and was able to start this school year at a facility closer to her home.
“This program has been so good to help me stay mentally sharp. It’s a way that I can stay active and feel useful, because everybody wants to be useful.” – Dorothy, Sunbeam Senior Companion
When Dorothy Smith turned 65 and retired, she felt that she had too much time on her hands. That’s when she spotted an article about Sunbeam Family Services need for Senior Companion volunteers and knew she would be a good fit. Dorothy has been a Senior Companion for nearly 20 years.
“Whether that child goes home or stays in your home forever, you are a vital person to that child for the rest of their lives. If they reunify and it’s successful, you need to be a support system for that mom because chances are she won’t have many people in her life that are appropriate.” -Tara, Sunbeam Foster Parent
“I’m a prideful person; I don’t like to ask. I was in such a jam. The staff is fabulous. If you need something and just want to talk they listen. The staff has done so much to get me back on track, to get me back to who I am, to myself. There is a definite need for people who are in a bad situation and need assistance.” -Joe, prior Sunbeam Emergency Senior Shelter Resident and Counseling client.
Through Sunbeam’s wrap around services, Joe worked with a supportive case manager, completed counseling sessions and had access to free services from a Legal Aid attorney. At the end of his 30 day stay with Sunbeam, Joe was a new man.